Aldersgate Men

Friday, August 18, 2006

World Trade Center: The Movie

On Tuesday my sister would have turned 46. I celebrated her and her influence on me by going to see World Trade Center. I'm at the beach so I got a private viewing of the movie in a 200-seat theatre (guess 9/11 movies aren't a big attraction when on vacation).

Needless to say the movie was emotional. Watching bodies fall 100 stories, reliving those days, weeks, months was difficult.

As a family member of a victim, I applaud Mr. Stone and Mr. Cage in their performances. I was braced for the usual political commentary that Hollywood is so willing to bestow on me, but it never came. What I saw was a great story of the courage of the people - the heroes that day. The face on Mr. McLoughlin/Cage as he went into towers was not a 'rambo-let's go get him' face, but rather a 'I'm scared as heck but this is the right thing to do' face.

The stories told while they were stuck in the rubble were the stories that every one of us lived those days, some of us closer than others. It seemed time moved in super-slow motion during the weeks after 9/11. Not just for people who had family there but for the whole country.

When time moves that slow, it is easier to see those God has put in our lives. Our country lives in a 'need for speed' mode that makes us often miss those directly around us.

Viewing that movie helped me remember. No one wants to live the tragedy of 9/11 over again. But all of us should try to live the simpler, slower lifestyle that immediately followed that tragedy. Put the crackberry down, say no to over-commitment so that you can say yes to those surrounding you.

His speed..

G

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob Redding said...

Behr, know that this has been read by many. How can anyone that hasn't been thrown into this awful fraternity respond. I am greatful for your sharing. Exposing us to your pain in an all too real way. And reminding how deeply everyone has been affected by that still shuddering date 9/11. I remember the, helpless feelings of that day. Oh those poor families. Why? What can I do? How can I help? Tearful prayers. The fearlessness of public servants. Just doing their job most would say. I'll never think of them the same! I was so removed from the suffering. Then a realization of just how far reaching this event went. A friend and neighbor lost in NY (thankfully found) and then a personal role model who's heart is as big as only his mother's and father's together could have made it, loses a beloved sister. My fathers cousin on Flight 93. So many. Everyone, a whole nation, affected.
Your right, time slowed, people joined and prayed. Not a bad recipe for living. We should not soon forget.
I love you too man!

10:39 AM  
Blogger FishrCutB8 said...

I've been wanting to offer something, but all I can think is that my prayers are with you, your family, and this nation of individuals who have been affected by this senseless tragedy.

I love you, brother.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home