Aldersgate Men

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Prophet for the Times

After reading last week the post about Judas as prophet for the times.. my quiet time today was in Micah 2:


11 If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,' he would be just the prophet for this people!

10 years ago HE was the prophet I was looking for. Everything in our society - the one controlled by The Liar/Deceiver - points us in that direction.

One lesson I am trying to teach my children is that running a hard race may seem less enjoyable than watching it on a couch, but there is no comparison between the joy felt at the end: having done it versus having watched it done.

The wine and beer of our society, whether it is alcohol-based or some other intoxicant (my preference is chocolate) turns us into watchers not doers. It's not the wine and beer that are bad, but the results they bring on.

Choose this day to do it. Not watch it. Now the only question that remains: How do you define 'it'?! I prefer my definition to given in 'daily bread' doses, anchored by the Book of all books, and on this other Micah 2 character:

12 I will surely gather all of you, O Jacob; I will surely bring together the remnant of Israel. I will bring them together like sheep in a pen, like a flock in its pasture; the place will throng with people. 13 One who breaks open the way will go up before them; they will break through the gate and go out. Their king will pass through before them, the LORD at their head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home