Aldersgate Men

Sunday, October 15, 2006

An Alternative Lifestyle

Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. […] A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage; it does not need a regretful hankering after the past or a fettering of the free intelligence by the words uttered long ago by ignorant men.
—Bertrand Russell, Why I Am Not a Christian and Other Essays on Religion and Related Subjects

Why do so many men fail to grab the prize of a life of ABUNDANCE that is promised us if we take-up our cross and follow Christ? I suspect the reason is that most of the men who sit dutifully in the pews on most Sundays - adhere to Mr. Russells thoughts but go to church out of habit or worse - just in case God is keeping score.

This is a great tragedy

Why should I ? What's in it for me? These are the questions they (we) ask. If men - who by the grace of God have found a Christ centered life to be an ABUNDANT one - fail to share how He has transformed their life of quiet desperation into a life of ABUNDANCE then they condemn the others to live outside of the blessing they have found.

What is this ABUNDANCE you speak of? One may ask. If I become a "Jesus Freak" wont my life become miserable in exchange for some mythical reward in the afterlife - if one does exist?

In what aspects of life (family, finances, work, leisure time, health etc) does the Christ centered life provide more ABUNDANCE than one centered somewhere else?

........They are waiting to hear from YOU !

6 Comments:

Blogger Behr Whitewash said...

My personal experience is that it is a matter of what hill to take. I am a 'hill-taker'. Give me my mission - 'take that hill' - and I'll work hard to take that.

My world quickly became a matter of too many hills to take, not enough training to take any properly, and of course not the right team and equipment.

Which hill to take? Until you take time to peel the onion, you just don't know what hills are valuable targets.

5:22 AM  
Blogger The Spaniard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:52 AM  
Blogger The Spaniard said...

There are hoards of men adrift in the valley below - why should they take the effort to join you on the hill you have found? What benefit is the hill you are taking - or have taken? Why bother ?

7:55 AM  
Blogger Behr Whitewash said...

I think first many men are simply not asked to join. Like cold-calling prospects, we need to let our product do the talking. We simply need to dial the numbers.

Why join? Like Steven Jobs quote: "Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" (said to Scully to convince him to come to apple instead of pepsi).

9:51 AM  
Blogger Hammer Man said...

Men filled with abundance pull other men to them, but often for the wrong reasons. First, men will be attracted by the power and initiative these abundant men have. Second, they'll be swept up in the vastness of the abundant men's universe. Last, they either engage and seek to have such an abundant life themselves, or they refuse the challenge of taking the hill. They refuse for many reasons. Some are out of fear of the unknown or fear of failure. Some refuse out of fear of success (I know what my life is now, what may it become?). And many refuse because they are not ready (right now, but may be in the future) to let go of the beliefs they've adopted and ways that they are living, even if it's painful.

Doesn't this sound a lot like Jesus' story of the farmer scattering the wheat?

As a Christian man, my duty is to reach out, walk alongside, and share my story. Christ and the Holy Spirit can do the rest.

I pray that the Summit will be fruitful in attracting men who are ready, or who are nudging slowly toward their ability to accept Christ and begin living anew.

God bless you all.

10:29 AM  
Blogger bob redding said...

I don't know much about Mr Russell other than he was a noted mathmatician and a professional thinker ("philoffasir" not a misprint). As with most of these trendy people, he speaks to a higher audience, only the most intellectual and important people could possibly understand his thoughts ("not ordinary folk"). Take a firm believer with religious upbringing who even has an Ontological Arguement "moment" and of course since he has been destined to think and tell, (I think I was therefore I must have) promptly thinks himself out of his own belief. Lest we attach too much importance to the professional thinkers thoughts, his ever changing absolutes and his ability to influence people vs The LORD's ability, have a read of this.

"He was the most fascinating man I have ever known, the only man I ever loved, the greatest man I shall ever meet, the wittiest, the gayest, the most charming. It was a privilege to know him, and I thank God he was my father."

— Katharine Tait, My Father Bertrand Russell, NY: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1975, p. 202.

Thank God I'm not much of a thinker and just a believer, I have enough trouble justifying my behavour to myself and God. (I always lose.)

I've heard of Pork Chop Hill but not Onion Hill. Sounds like a slippery slope.

Cold calling doesn't work. (Harvey McCay). Friendship does. You can't get on my hill unless you have an appointment or I know and trust you. So you blog boys are ok.

If your abundance shows they will want to know why and you can lead them up the hill. Ugly battles and all.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home