Aldersgate Men

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Alice Cooper

Alice Cooper was born Vincent Damon Furnier. He is often referred to as the founder of shock rock. Alice Cooper was originally the name of Furnier's band. Furnier officially changed his own name to Alice Cooper for a successful solo career.

The stage show, which had a gothic horror theme, featured numerous special effects. The highlight of the show was Cooper's "death" onstage, either by beheading or by hanging. The guillotine, trick noose and other stage effects were designed for the band by stage magician. Cooper's stage antics influenced later bands like Kiss and Blue Oyster Cult. Following two less acclaimed studio albums Alice Cooper Goes to Hell and Lace and Whiskey, along with the 1977 live album The Alice Cooper Show (recorded in Las Vegas), it was clear that Alice Cooper lacked some of the cutting edge of the creative 1971-1975 period, and in 1977 Cooper was hospitalized in a New York sanitarium for alcoholism.....


In a recent interview, Cooper said the following: "I was a totally functional alcoholic, probably the most functional alcoholic ever. I never missed a show. I never stumbled. I never slurred a word. I mean I was the Dean Martin of rock 'n' roll." Cooper said divine intervention is what broke his drinking habit in the mid-1980s. "I honestly think I was simply and completely healed," he said. "I guess you can call it a miracle. It's the only way I can explain it. It was absolutely eliminated from my life."

"We have to make a choice. And everybody, at some point in their lives, has to make that choice. When people say, 'How do you believe this? Why do you believe this?' I just say nothing else speaks to my heart. This doesn't speak to my intellect, it doesn't speak to my logic -- it speaks right to my heart and right to my soul, deeper than anything I've ever thought of. And I totally believe it. That being said, I'm not a very good Christian. I mean, none of us are ever 'good' Christians. That's not the point. When you're a Christian, it doesn't mean you're going to be good; it means you've got a harder road to pull."

"I'm the first one to rock as loud as I can, but when it comes to what I believe, I'm the first one to defend it too," he said. "It has also gotten me in trouble with the staunch Christians who believe that in order to be a Christian you have to be on your knees 24 hours a day in a closet somewhere. Hey, maybe some people can live like that, but I don't think that's the way God expected us to live. When Christ came back, He hung out with the whores, the drunks and miscreants because they were people that needed Him. Christ never spent His time with the Pharisees."

"I've had a couple of people that were friends of mine that I've talked to that have vocally said they have [accepted Christ]. I have talked to some big stars about this, some really horrific characters ... and you'd be surprised. The ones that you would think are the furthest gone are the ones that are more apt to listen..."
"I used to celebrate moral decay, the decadence of it," he admitted in the KNAC.com interview. "I can look back on what I did then and what I'm doing now and they're two different things. But at the time I was the poster boy for moral decay, you know. So yeah, I've got a lot to be forgiven for ... out of ignorance, I thought I was doing the right thing. I was totally in agreement that every guy should sleep with every girl and drink as much as they can. I don't believe that now. I don't believe in it, because I see how destructive it is."

"Being a Christian is something you just progress in. You learn. You go to your Bible studies....and you pray. It's really easy to focus on Alice Cooper and not on Christ. I'm a rock singer. I'm nothing more than that. I'm not a philosopher. I consider myself low on the totem pole of knowledgeable Christians. So, don't look for answers from me."

"It's obvious humanity is craving for answers directly born of awareness," he said. "That's the healthiest thing I've seen in a long time because there is something better and everybody's got to find it in their own way. People aren't feeling fulfilled by how many cars they own or the size of their stock portfolio.

"Even the addicts are saying, 'It doesn't matter how many drugs I take, I'm not fulfilled. This isn't satisfying.' There's a spiritual hunger going on. Everybody feels it. If you don't feel it now, you will. Trust me. You will."

"I was one thing at one time...and now I'm something new. I'm a new creature now. Don't judge me by what he used to be. Praise God for what I am now."


.....just as He did when walked among us 2 thousand years ago, He continues to make His disciples out of even the most unlikely among us! I find this very comforting. I know i need to always remember that His ways are not my ways; that He chooses the "foolish" things of the world to confound the "wise". I must always be prepared to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit through the people like Vincent Furnier - because it is often through people like him that God chooses to reveal himself instead of the so called "good church-goin folk". Hallelujah!! Yes ??

Brad

3 Comments:

Blogger FishrCutB8 said...

Very cool. I wasn't sure I was in the right place when I first opened the page. Great find, Brad.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Behr Whitewash said...

That picture of Alice Cooper is what we would look like to God if we didn't have Christ as our proxy.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Vern Hyndman said...

Alice Cooper is a pastor's kid.

I saw him in concert back in '78... the concert still inspires me to this day, based on the creativity exhibited. It's good that God had a different plan for Alice's life.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home